Shotguns :  AntiqueGuns

Home Page
Shotguns - Smooth bore firearms generally used for sporting purposes. Include as many details as possible... Proof Marks, Grade, Condition, barrel length, etc. Note: Users... Click "Log In" (Below)  
Re: Information on old shotgun
Posted by: bill curtis (IP Logged)
Date: April 26, 2009 09:01AM

Please find below an extract from the site The Internet Gun Club. I have come across Scholefield before although he is not listed in any of our reference books. I suspect that this was primarily an export maker's mark for one of the regular Birmingham makers. At least this a lead for you to investigate further.

======================================

Posted: 2003-11-30 19:59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon,

I've acquired a rifle that has "Scholefield of London & Birmingham" stamped on it. There isn't any record for this in the data base (only a Scholefield in New York). I wonder if anyone could give me a place to start in researching this firm. Thank you for your time.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiger

Posted: 2003-12-01 10:36
I've never come across the name, what calibre, type of rifle and action, and what proof marks does it have?

JML

Posted: 2003-12-01 17:08
Tiger,

Other than the above, there is also Scholefield stamped on the receiver. It has "450 EX 120-270" plus a crown over BP and a crown over BV on the barrel. There is also another small mark on the barrel I can't make out - but probably another proof mark. I haven't done a chamber cast but it's probably 450 3 1/4" BPE caliber based on the barrel markings. It is a Field patent falling block single shot rifle - no engraving or fancy wood, but quite elegant in its own right.

John

[ This message was edited by: JML on 2003-12-01 17:09 ]

dbm

Posted: 2003-12-04 19:30
SCHOFIELD, William (1873-1882). 36 Weaman St., Birmingham.

This is listed in Bailey and Nie's "English Gunmakers", but that is all the information given.

David
-----------------
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.lrml.org

[ This message was edited by: dbm on 2003-12-04 19:31 ]

JML

Posted: 2003-12-04 21:54
David,

Thanks for the reply! Was the spelling that you wrote in your reply correct, i.e., Schofield? The name on my rifle is Scholefield - I checked it again. A member of another forum was kind enough to look up this name in Boothroyd's Directory of British Gunmakers and it is not in there. However, there are a couple of other firearms that I found on the www with this name stamped on them as well. So this is turning into a real mystery. The only thing I can think of was that Scholefield was a gun merchant but didn't actually make any guns. Anybody got a merchant listing from the early 1900s for London or Birmingham?

John

[ This message was edited by: JML on 2003-12-04 23:54 ]

dbm

Posted: 2003-12-05 07:14
The listing I gave is the spelling as published in the book, and it is the only one near to yours.

Have you tried posting on the Antique Guns forums? There are a lot of knowledgeable people contribute, especially in the 'pre-1898' forum.

David

JML

Posted: 2003-12-07 21:30
David,

Thanks for the site - I'll give it a try.

John

JML

Posted: 2003-12-16 17:21
I found some information about Scholefield and will be sending an e-mail to the club to update the database.

John

JaneB

Posted: 2003-12-17 17:54
Great - thanks for that!

Tiger

Posted: 2003-12-19 12:00
Just in case anyone is interested, JML emailed Internet Gun Club with the results of his searches and we've put it up under a new entry - Scholefield, Goodman & Sons Ltd. The text is repeated here: "This company is recorded in "The British Falling Block Single Shot Rifles from 1865" by Jon Kirton; the book contains several photographs and copies of two pages from the firm's 1896 catalogue. Records, photos, journals, correspondence, customer ledgers etc. are in the Birmingham City Archives.
Scholefield is not a name that ocurrs in connection with any other business in Birmingham, but Goodman was probably John Dent Goodman who was a partner in Abingdon Works and later in Birmingham Small-Arms Co.

It is believed that the company were mainly retailers but made rifles made under Field's patent actions, the barrels being made by others.

joelb
Novice

Posted: 2004-06-22 22:43
I owned a Scholefield sealing rifle in 450 3". It had a plain straight stock on a Henry action. Even though the bore was still excellent, it had little finish remaining on the metal.

Crawdad
Novice

Posted: 2004-06-24 18:10
I, too, have had trouble finding the source of the "Scholefield" name. What I have is a shotgun (sorry for posting under "Rifles," but that is where the Scholefield interest seems to lie.

This shotgun is clearly marked "Scholefield" on both the double-barrel and the metalwork on the stock. The barrel is stamped "London & Birmingham". While the wooden stock has no scroll work or carving, there is a substantial amount of engraving on its metalwork, including scroll-work and two pheasants on each side of the receiver, and there is engraving on the lock that holds the barrel to the stock. When the 27 7/8" barrel is removed, one can see what appears to be a maker's mark that looks like two crossed short swords in front of a taller (yet narrow) shield. These are stamped, not engraved into the metal.

I had photos looked at by an 80+ year old gun repairman in Fraserburgh; he did not recognise any markings and thought Scholefied was a gun merchant. This shotgun has been in my family for quite possibly 100 years or more. Can anyone help me with more information on its origin?

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Information on old shotgun 1678 Anonymous User 04/25/2009 03:13PM
  Re: Information on old shotgun 935 C.W. Howard 04/25/2009 03:40PM
  Re: Information on old shotgun 837 Anchor Clanker 04/25/2009 03:46PM
  Re: Information on old shotgun 780 C.W. Howard 04/25/2009 04:57PM
  Re: Information on old shotgun 775 Anonymous User 04/25/2009 07:20PM
  Re: Information on old shotgun 756 Anonymous User 04/25/2009 10:27PM
  Re: Information on old shotgun 750 Anchor Clanker 04/25/2009 11:11PM
  Re: Information on old shotgun 758 Anonymous User 04/26/2009 03:19AM
  Re: Information on old shotgun 2644 bill curtis 04/26/2009 09:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.