General Discussion :  AntiqueGuns

Home Page
Welcome to Antiqueguns. Note: REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. DISCUSSION AND AUCTION BOARDS DO NOT SHARE USER NAMES OR PASSWORDS. You must register for both. >>>> FOR HELP >>>> E-mail.... nordata@earthlink.net ATTENTION ALL USERS -> Click on "Log In" (below) 
My Favorite Weapon: Starr Carbine w/ Confederate Provenance
Posted by: pikeman (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2012 07:24PM

Here's my entry for favorite weapon:

As many know by my responses to posts herein, and as pointed out by nord in a recent post, my level of interest is mainly in weaponry of the American Civil War. I have been fortunate to encounter many different weapons, having once owned, or still own them, but I am particularly enamoured by those weapons which have unquestionable provenance. A historic connection, if you will.

Back a few years ago, Springfield Research Services (SRS) posted listings of it's weapons of known issuance. I spent quite a few hours tracking auction sites and checking serial numbers of military weaponry against those SRS lists, back then, and I found a Starr carbine, marked 1/ARK/C on the top of the barrel, near the receiver. I checked out the serial number against the list provided by SRS, and it was a hit! I emailed Frank Mallory to make sure it was indeed something that SRS could provide a letter for, and Frank wrote back telling me that it was such. With his assurance in hand, I bought the gun and sent Frank $50, the cost of a letter back then, and waited for him to do his thing. In a couple of months, he wrote back to me and told me he had good news and bad news for me. He said the bad news was that I owed him another $50. The good news was that my carbine was a double hit! It seems that my weapon checked our to be issued to a Union Sgt. in the 1st Arkansas Vol. Cav. Co. "C". During the 2nd Battle of Fayetteville (ascertained by John Gross in an earlier post at this website), it was in the possession of a Yankee private who reported it "lost on the battlefield and recovered by the rebels"!

Most collectors know that the largest supplier of weapons to the Confederacy was the Union Army! This due to the fact that whoever won the battle got the spoils of war, including lost, dropped, or captured weapons. Usually, the weapons of the Union were superior to those of the Confederacy, thus Confederate weapons were destroyed when captured (adding to the present scarcity of same), while the Confederates often switched their weapons for those captured from the yankees. What is seldom ever provable is that a specific Union weapon can be identified as having been in the hands of the Confederacy! My Starr carbine is the only one that I know of with such rock solid provenance! Thus it's my choice of my favorite weapon.

pikeman

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!"

Subject Views Written By Posted
  My Favorite Weapon: Starr Carbine w/ Confederate Provenance 1101 pikeman 02/27/2012 07:24PM
  Re: My Favorite Weapon: Starr Carbine w/ Confederate Provenance 355 johnhamilton 03/02/2012 03:11PM
  Re: My Favorite Weapon: Starr Carbine w/ Confederate Provenance 354 bill curtis 03/03/2012 04:32AM
  Re: My Favorite Weapon: Starr Carbine w/ Confederate Provenance 284 pikeman 03/03/2012 08:38AM
  Re: My Favorite Weapon: Starr Carbine w/ Confederate Provenance 326 C.W. Howard 03/03/2012 01:10PM
  Re: My Favorite Weapon: Starr Carbine w/ Confederate Provenance 390 steg 03/03/2012 06:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.