Swords & Collectibles :  AntiqueGuns

Home Page
Swords & Collectibles Note: Users... Click "Log In" (below) 
For John Thillmann re: U.S. M1840 NCO/Musicians' Sword
Posted by: Ron Goos (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2008 10:53AM

I'm looking for feedback regarding the presence and use of the blade buffer pad on the M1840 NCO/Musicians'Sword. I have an Ames 1863 NCO that has what appears to be a red leather pad on the blade and an 1864 Ames Musicians' with no pad. Both have the red felt pad at the scabbard throat.

In "Civil War Army Swords", pg. 198 under the illustration of the scabbard throat it states "This scabbard throat view shows the red wool washer, which is on the scabbard as opposed to being on the hilt between the hilt and blade.", implying that the presence of the pad in the scabbard throat eliminates the need for one on the blade. Was the blade buffer pad part of the standard M1840 NCO/Musicians' configuration, was it optional, or was it sometimes put on post production for cosmetic reasons? Also, is there a standard as to color ( ie: red, black, white) or material (ie: leather, felt)?

For those who don't have "Civil War Army Swords" yet, it's one of the best books on the topic ever written and the leather limited edition (I was lucky enough to get #78) is a beautifully constructed piece of work. Thanks and congratulations to John Thillmann.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  For John Thillmann re: U.S. M1840 NCO/Musicians' Sword 1647 Ron Goos 05/15/2008 10:53AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.